cajun red beans and rice
Get this recipe. Smoked Beef Sausage and hearty red beans are served over rice. Using a pressure cooker makes this dish easy on any night of the week.
- 1 package (12 ounces) smoked beef sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1-1/4 cup dry red kidney beans
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- Combine beans, onion, pepper, celery, Creole Seasoning, garlic and bay leaf in 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Pour broth over bean mixture; stir to combine.
- Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 50 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Remove bay leaf; discard. Remove 1/3 bean mixture into medium bowl. Mash bean mixture with potato masher until thick and creamy; return to pressure cooker. Add sausage. Close and lock pressure cooker lid; cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid and stir. (This recipe was tested in an electric pressure cooker at high altitude. Cooking at an altitude of less than 3000 feet may require slightly less cooking time. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions.)
- Divide rice between 4 bowls; top with sausage and bean mixture. Garnish with onion.
Nutrition information per serving: 622 Calories; 198 Calories from fat; 22g Total Fat (9.4 g Saturated Fat; 0.6 g Trans Fat; 0.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 0.3 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 52 mg Cholesterol; 3024 mg Sodium; 74 g Total Carbohydrate; 11.1 g Dietary Fiber; 29 g Protein; 7.4 mg Iron; 1114 mg Potassium; 4.6 mg NE Niacin; 0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 0.1 mcg Vitamin B12; 2.2 mg Zinc; 10.9 mcg Selenium; 49.4 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Iron, Potassium, Niacin, and Vitamin B6; and a good source of Selenium.