beefy shepherds pie
- 1 pound ground beef (90% to 95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (12 oz) mushroom or beef gravy)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes, warmed
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings. Return beef to skillet; stir in gravy and peas and season with pepper.
- Spoon beef mixture into 2-quart baking dish. Top with potatoes, spreading evenly; sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Bake in 450°F oven 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Cook's Tip: Any type of prepared mashed potatoes may be used in this recipe: instant, refrigerated, frozen or homemade.
Nutrition information per serving: 389 calories; 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 85 mg cholesterol; 1054 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.9 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 20.4 mcg selenium; 7.1 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.