beef stuffing with apples & cranberries
Bring the beef to the holiday table with this savory, sweet and tart beef stuffing with apples and cranberries. A perfect side or main dish.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons onion powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 bag (12 ounces) unseasoned dried bread cubes
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups diced peeled Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Combine ground beef, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt and crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove beef mixture from skillet with slotted spoon into large bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In same skillet, heat butter on medium heat until hot. Add leeks, cook and stir 5 minutes. Add leeks to beef mixture. Stir in bread cubes, broth, apples, cranberries, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder, remaining 1 teaspoon onion powder, remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage and remaining 1 teaspoon salt to beef mixture.
Cook's Tip: You may substitute a fresh baguette, cubed and toasted, for unseasoned dried bread cubes.
- Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place beef mixture into prepared dish; cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350°F oven 30 to 40 minutes until heated through.
Cook's Tip: For a drier stuffing, bake covered 30 to 40 minutes, then bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes until top of stuffing is crisp.
Nutrition information per serving: 291 Calories; 7g Total Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; 2g Monounsaturated Fat; 41mg Cholesterol; 971mg Sodium; 43g Total carbohydrate; 15g Protein; 3mg Iron; 4.7mg Niacin; 0.3mg Vitamin B6; 46.7mg Choline; 1.1mcg Vitamin B12; 3mg Zinc; 25.2mcg Selenium; 2.9g Fiber.