beef picadillo-stuffed acorn squash
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mexican Seasoning Mix (see Cook's Notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 acorn squash, quartered, cooked
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings. Return beef mixture to skillet.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix and cinnamon over beef; mix well. Stir in tomato sauce and raisins; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over squash. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 287 calories; 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 84 mg cholesterol; 551 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrate; 3.7 g fiber; 28 g protein; 7.6 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.8 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 21.7 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc; 101.7 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.