beef osso buco
Beef Osso Buco uses Cross Cut Shanks for a traditional Italian dish topped with fresh parsley, garlic and orange zest.
- 2 to 3 pounds beef Shank Cross Cuts, cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup finaly chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup pached fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated oarange peel
- 2 cloves garlic
- Lightly coat beef with flour. Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef shanks on all sides; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and shanks. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to stockpot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add wine; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Cook an additional 5 to 8 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes.
- Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 3 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Gremolata. Place parsley, orange peel and garlic in food processor or blender container. Cover; process until finely chopped, stopping and scraping side of container as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove cross cuts. Cut beef from bones; set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Bring cooking liquid to a boil and cook 5 to 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups. Season with salt, as desired. Return beef to cooking liquid. Serve with creamy polenta; garnish with Gremolata.
Nutrition information per serving: 238 Calories; 7g Total Fat; 2g Saturated Fat; 3g Monounsaturated Fat; 55mg Cholesterol; 203mg Sodium; 10g Total carbohydrate; 25g Protein; 3.8mg Iron; 9.3mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 5.9mg Choline; 2.7mcg Vitamin B12; 7.7mg Zinc; 22.5mcg Selenium; 1.8g Fiber.