beef mushroom and greens savory oats
Italian-Style Ground Beef sausage, mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese make for a breakfast or brunch chock-full of flavor. Add vibrant and peppery greens to complete the meal.
- 1 recipe Italian-Style Beef Sausage (see link to recipe below)
- 1 cup sliced mushroom mix (such as crimini, baby portabellas, porcini)
- 1 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 cups unsalted beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups finely shredded fresh swiss chard
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (additional for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Prepare Italian-Style Beef Sausage. Add mushrooms; cook 5 to 7 minutes until mushrooms are soft and begin to brown. Keep warm.
Italian-Style Beef Sausage: Combine 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner), 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add sausage mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- In medium saucepan, add milk, broth and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in oats, reduce heat; simmer 20 to 25 minutes until oatmeal is tender and most liquid has been absorbed, stirring often.
Stir in sausage mixture and Swiss chard to oatmeal mixture. Cook 5 minutes until chard is wilted. Stir in Parmesan and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Divide between four bowls. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 395 Calories; 108.9 Calories from fat; 12.1g Total Fat (4.8 g Saturated Fat; 0.2 g Trans Fat; 1.4 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 4.9 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 80 mg Cholesterol; 769 mg Sodium; 33.8 g Total Carbohydrate; 4.8 g Dietary Fiber; 37.3 g Protein; 5.1 mg Iron; 295 mg Potassium; 0.9 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 2.8 mcg Vitamin B12; 6.5 mg Zinc; 23.5 mcg Selenium; 98.5 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Iron, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline.