beef muffuletta burger
This is one big burger! Enjoy the flavors of a traditional Muffuletta sandwich in a burger meant to share.
- 1 recipe Cajun-Style Beef Sausage
- 8 ounces salami, diced
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup olive tapenade
- 1/2 cup chopped giardinera
- 1 large sheepherder loaf, about 8 inches in diameter
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- CAJUN-STYLE BEEF SAUSAGE
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% or leaner)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Prepare Cajun-Style Beef Sausage; add salami, mixing thoroughly but gently. Form sausage mixture into 1 large burger patty, 8 to 9 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. Place patty on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 10 to 11 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning once. Use 2 grill spatulas for easier flipping. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, top patty with cheese and allow to melt.
Cajun-Style Beef Sausage: Combine 1 pound Ground Beef (93% or leaner), 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves in a large bowl mixing lightly but thoroughly.
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Meanwhile, combine tapenade and giardiniera in small bowl. Cut shepherd loaf in half horizontally. Scoop out extra bread from middle of both halves, as desired. Toast loaf on grill for 2 to 3 minutes, if desired. Line bottom of bread with lettuce and tomato; top with burger. Top burger with tapenade mixture, close sandwich. Cut into 8 wedges.
ALTERNATE COOKING METHOD:
You may prepare 12 sliders instead of one large patty. Form twelve 2-1/2-inch diameter patties in step 1. Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill for the same time) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. During the last minute, top patties with cheese and allow to melt. Continue with step 2.
Nutrition information per serving: 423 Calories; 20.6 Calories from fat; 20.6g Total Fat (8.2 g Saturated Fat; 0.1 g Trans Fat; 0.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 6.2 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 77 mg Cholesterol; 1385 mg Sodium; 34 g Total Carbohydrate; 2 g Dietary Fiber; 26 g Protein; 4.3 mg Iron; 413 mg Potassium; 4.4 mg Niacin; 0.3 mg Vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg Vitamin B12; 4.5 mg Zinc; 17.8 mcg Selenium; 71 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Zinc, and Selenium; and a good source of Potassium, Vitamin B6, and Choline.