classic beef meatloaf
There's a reason it's a classic. Great taste never goes out of style. Make this time-tested, can't miss meatloaf the centerpiece of your next family get-together.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Measure 1/4 cup tomato sauce, brown sugar and mustard into small bowl; set aside for topping. Add remaining tomato sauce, Ground Beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion, Worcestershire, thyme, garlic salt and pepper to large bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly.
- Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-1/2-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Spread topping over meatloaf. Bake in 350°F oven 1 hour or until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices.
Four-Pepper Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper to Ground Beef mixture.
Picadillo-Style Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, omitting thyme and adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed, to Ground Beef mixture.
ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHOD
- Recipe can be made in an 8-quart Air Fryer. Heat Air Fryer to 350°F. Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-1/2-inch loaf on a sheet tray. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 45 minutes. For the last 10 minutes of cooking spread topping over meatloaf and continue to cook until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices.
Nutrition information per serving: 216 Calories; 80.1 Calories from fat; 8.9g Total Fat (3.5 g Saturated Fat; 0.21 g Trans Fat; 0.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.6 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 106 mg Cholesterol; 467 mg Sodium; 10 g Total Carbohydrate; 1.1 g Dietary Fiber; 24.7 g Protein; 3.5 mg Iron; 464 mg Potassium; 5.8 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg Vitamin B12; 5.8 mg Zinc; 23.5 mcg Selenium; 102.8 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Potassium.