beef & green olive stew
Layers of delicious flavor from onions, fennel, tomatoes and olives make this savory Beef Stew one you won't forget!
- 1-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt added garlic-seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 jar (7 ounces) green olives with pimentos, drained
- Combine flour, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon flour mixture. Lightly coat beef Stew Meat with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in stock pot over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; Set aside and keep warm.
- Add onions, oregano and fennel seeds to stock pot; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add wine to pot; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 minute or until browned bits attached to pot are dissolved. Stir in beef broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and reserved flour mixture. Return beef to pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in olives. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until olives are heated through. Serve with mashed potatoes, as desired.
ALTERNATE COOKING METHOD:
To cook in a slow cooker, combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture. Add beef, onions, oregano, fennel, wine, beef broth, tomatoes and tomato paste to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir until combined. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Stir in olives and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Served with mashed potatoes.
Nutrition information per serving: 311 Calories; 144 Calories from fat; 16g Total Fat ) 55 mg Cholesterol; 1402 mg Sodium; 17 g Total Carbohydrate; 22 g Protein; 3.5 mg Iron; 3 mg Niacin; 0.3 mg Vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg Vitamin B12; 4.5 mg Zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Vitamin B12, and Zinc; and a good source of Niacin, and Vitamin B6.