beef curry fruit almond rice
Flavors of coconut milk, curry, basil and lemongrass give this stir-fry dish a distinctively Asian flare.
- 1 beef Top Sirloin Steak, 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (13 1/2 to 14 ounces) lite coconut milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- Fruit and Almond Basmati Rice (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces fresh breen beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh lemon grass
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges (optional)
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch strips. Combine soy sauce and garlic in medium bowl. Add beef; toss. Set aside.
- Whisk coconut milk and curry paste in small bowl until well blended; set aside.
- Prepare Fruit and Almond Rice. Prepare 1 cup basmati rice according to package directions omitting butter or oil. Add 3/4 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped and 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, during stand time.
Cook's Tip: To toast almonds, spread in single layer on metal baking sheet. Bake in 350°F oven 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining beef. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- In same skillet, bring coconut milk mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green beans, basil, lemon grass and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 11 to 13 minutes or until green beans are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return beef with juices to skillet; cook and stir until heated through. Serve over rice. Garnish with basil and lime, if desired.
Cook's Tip: Recipe adapted from The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Nutrition information per serving: 262 Calories; 11.4g Total Fat; 5.9g Saturated Fat; 1g Polyunsaturated Fat; 2.2g Monounsaturated Fat; 0.2g Trans Fat; 70mg Cholesterol; 609mg Sodium; 516mg Potassium; 11.6g Total carbohydrate; 28g Protein; 2.6mg Iron; 8mg Niacin; 0.7mg Vitamin B6; 111.6mg Choline; 1.5mcg Vitamin B12; 5.2mg Zinc; 31.5mcg Selenium; 2.5g Fiber.