beef chili carnivale
- 2 pounds ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) regular or light beer
- 1 bottle (12 oz) regular or light beer
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium green, red, yellow or orange bell peppers, diced
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed, drained
- sliced cherry tomatoes
- sliced green onions
- sliced serrano or jalapeno peppers
- chopped onions
- Heat stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, beer, onions, bell peppers, tomato paste, chili powder, jalapeno pepper, garlic, cumin and oregano to stockpot, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in black beans and continue to simmer 15 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Garnish with toppings as desired. Serve with lime wedges and baked tortilla chips, if desired.
Tips from Our Cook: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 318 calories; 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 955 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 7.5 g fiber; 32 g protein; 7.8 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 6.4 mg iron; 19.8 mcg selenium; 6.2 mg zinc; 96.0 mg choline.