beef, blueberry & flax burgers
A fruit and fiber packed knife and fork burger that's perfect atop a salad, or on a whole wheat bun.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup ground flax seed or meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups lightly packed mixed salad greens
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Combine blueberries, mustard, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon garlic and Worcestershire in food processor bowl. Pulse on and off until slightly chunky; reserve 1/2 cup of blueberry mixture for topping. Combine remaining blueberry mixture, ground beef, remaining 2 teaspoons garlic, flax, salt and pepper in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place patties in skillet; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
Cook's Tip: Burgers may also be served on buns.
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Serve burgers on a bed of mixed greens; top with reserved blueberry sauce and cheese.
Nutrition information per serving: 283 Calories; 14g Total Fat; 5g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; 87mg Cholesterol; 722mg Sodium; 15g Total carbohydrate; 28g Protein; 5.1mg Iron; 5.3mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 77mg Choline; 2.4mcg Vitamin B12; 6mg Zinc; 20.7mcg Selenium; 4.6g Fiber.