beef and zucchini noodle lasagna
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 jar (24 to 26 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 container (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites or 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 medium zucchini (about 7 ounces each), cut diagonally crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; stir in pasta sauce and red pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg whites in medium bowl.
- Spread one third of beef mixture in bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of zucchini slices in single layer. Spread half of ricotta mixture over zucchini. Repeat layers with another third of beef mixture, remaining zucchini slices and remaining ricotta mixture. Top with remaining beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in 375°F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until zucchini is tender and cheese is golden brown. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 316 calories; 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 588 mg sodium; 16 g carbohydrate; 2.4 g fiber; 32 g protein; 4.9 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.6 mcg vitamin B12; 3.4 mg iron; 14.8 mcg selenium; 4.3 mg zinc; 59.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline.