yankee beef pot roast
- 1 boneless beef chuck pot roast (arm, shoulder or blade), about 2-1/2 pounds
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsdried thyme leaves
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen vegetable stew mixture ( such as potatoes, carrots, celery and onion)
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Lightly coat beef in 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings.
- Combine beef broth, red wine, thyme and remaining flour mixture; add to stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables to stockpot; continue simmering 30 to 45 minutes or until pot roast and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove pot roast and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary.
- Carve pot roast into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and gravy.
Nutrition information per serving: 363 Calories; 10g Total Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; 3g Monounsaturated Fat; 71mg Cholesterol; 735mg Sodium; 25g Total carbohydrate; 39g Protein; 3.6mg Iron; 8.1mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 2.6mcg Vitamin B12; 8.5mg Zinc; 40.1mcg Selenium; 1.3g Fiber.