spicy drowned beef sandwiches
- 12 ounces thinly sliced low-sodium deli Roast Beef, cut into 1/2" strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced jalapeño pepper (about 1 jalapeño pepper)
- 3/4 cup salsa verde, divided
- 1/2 cup no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 8 whole wheat slider buns
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and jalapeño pepper; cook 5 to 7 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Add roast beef; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa verde; cook 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dipping sauce, combine tomato sauce, remaining 1/4 cup salsa verde, chipotle pepper and lime juice in small sauce pan. Heat over low 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Divide beef mixture evenly among slider buns. Close sandwiches. Using panini press or double griddle on medium-high heat, grill sandwiches in batches 5 to 7 minutes until toasted on both sides. Serve sandwiches with warm dipping sauce.
Nutrition information per serving: 408 calories; 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 46 mg cholesterol; 684 mg sodium; 43 g carbohydrate; 3.4 g fiber; 32 g protein; 3.4 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 12.5 mcg selenium; 2.7 mg zinc; 37.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and iron; and a good source of fiber, niacin, selenium and zinc.