calypso beef soup
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (95% or lean)
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water or ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (13 1/2 ounces) light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cup packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon. Pour off drippings in pan; add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and curry powder. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onion and pepper are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute.
Stir in water, black-eyed peas and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in spinach and thyme. Cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired.
Test Kitchen Tips: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 308 calories; 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 327 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 3 g protein; 7.0 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.7 mg iron; 21.2 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.