mini beef tacos with citrus salsa
- 2 beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks (8 oz each)
- 12 corn tortillas (6 to 7 inch diameter)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- CITRUS SALSA
- 1/3 cup chopped jicama
- 1/3 cup chopped orange
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- AVOCADO CREAM
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 tablespoon low-fat dairy sour cream
1. Combine Citrus Salsa ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
Combine Avocado Cream ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
Combine Rub ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Transfer steaks to carving board.
2. Meanwhile, cut 1 "mini tortilla" from each tortilla with 4-inch diameter cookie cutter. Discard tortilla scraps or save for another use. Lightly brush both sides of mini tortillas with oil. Grill over medium heat 1 to 3 minutes or until lightly crisp, turning once.
Carve steaks lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Top each mini tortilla with equal amounts of avocado cream, beef slices and salsa. Serve immediately.
Cooks Notes: To pan broil steaks, heat large non-stick skillet over medium until hot. Place steaks in skillet, cook 13-15 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Cooks Notes: Four-inch mini tortillas are occasionally available in Hispanic markets and somem large supermarkets.
Nutrition information per serving: 153 calories; 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 24 mg cholesterol; 36 mg sodium; 14 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 9 g protein; 1.7 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 1.3 mg iron; 12.4 mcg selenium; 3.0 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of vitaminB12 and zinc; and a good source of fiber, protein, vitaminB6 and selenium.